How the Program Works
Pregnant women that meet the criteria for the program are referred by their physician, obstetric/prenatal clinic, or other entity to the local BABY & ME™ Tobacco Free Program site. Self-referrals are also welcome. The local site arranges for the woman’s first appointment with a specialized counselor, known as a facilitator, who is trained by the BABY & ME™ Tobacco Free Program. At the first appointment, the woman receives information about the program and an initial intake session is held. Each participant receives at least four prenatal cessation-counseling sessions, support, and carbon monoxide (CO) monitoring. Participants who are successful in becoming tobacco free during the prenatal phase of the program will receive two $25 Walmart vouchers for diapers and or wipes. The participant may use her voucher for any brand or size of diapers at Walmart.
After the birth of the baby, the mother returns monthly to continue CO monitoring and, if proven to be smoke-free, receives a $25 monthly voucher for diapers for up to 12 months postpartum.
- Any pregnant smoking woman (36 weeks or less) who is a daily smoker, or quit within 3 months of becoming pregnant.
- No age or income requirements
- Must be a Hamilton County resident
Support Partner: If there is a household member who is also a smoker, the participant will quality to have a support partner join the program with them. In this case the participant will receive double the amount vouchers (2) a month, in most cases. The support Partner requirements are below:
- Must reside in the same household as participant.
- Must sign up by Prenatal Session 3.
- Agree to quit and take carbon monoxide test.
- Attends Prenatal Sessions.
- Attend 12 Postpartum Visits.
- Only one support partner residing with the pregnant woman is eligible for the program.
- Support Partners should attend as many of the prenatal sessions as possible.
- Support Partners are eligible for diaper vouchers ONLY in the postpartum months (up to 12 vouchers, one per month, just like the woman enrolled)
Chattanooga Hamilton County Health Department
921 E 3rd St, Chattanooga, TN 37403
Ooltewah Health Center
5520 High St, Ooltewah, TN 37363
Sequoyah Health Center
9527 W Ridge Trail Rd, Soddy-Daisy, TN 37379
For more information contact:
Charlean Roberson, MPH