Recognizing an overdose can save someone’s life. Here are the signs you should look for, according to the CDC:
- Small, constricted “pinpoint” pupils
- Falling asleep or losing consciousness
- Slow, weak, or not breathing
- Choking or gurgling sounds
- Limp body
- Cold and/or clammy skin
- Discolored skin (especially on lips and nails)
What to do if you think someone is overdosing
It may be hard to tell whether a person is high or experiencing an overdose. If you aren’t sure, treat it like an overdose—you could save a life.
1. Call 911 Immediately.
2. Administer naloxone, if available.
3. Try to keep the person awake and breathing.
4. Lay the person on their side to prevent choking.
5. Stay with the person until emergency assistance arrives.
All suspect cases should be reported immediately.
The Tennessee REDLINE is the 24/7/365 resource for substance misuse treatment referrals. Anyone can call or text 800-889-9789 for confidential referrals. Additional resources can be found in the Hamilton County drug overdose resource guide.